Conservation Tips for Commercial Customers
Small Changes Add Up
Making small changes to your energy-use habits can add up to savings.
Save 10-25% on Energy Bills
- Turn off lights and appliances when not in use. Don’t forget your computer.
- In the cold months, set the thermostat to 68° during office hours, and then back to 55-68° when unoccupied.
- In the winter, open window coverings on the sunny side of your building to take advantage of free heat from the sun. Close the coverings on cloudy days or right after the sun sets.
- In warm months, set the thermostat to 78-80° during office hours, and 5-10° warmer at night or when unoccupied.
- In the cooling season, close blinds and drapes during the day to keep heat out.
- Set the water heater to 120°.
- Close foundation vents in the winter months.
Save another 10-25% on Your Energy Bill
- Use compact fluorescent bulbs instead of incandescent ones. This will typically save $1 per bulb changed out for bulbs running 4-6 hours per day.
- Caulk windows, and caulk and weather-strip doors.
- Install a hot water heater blanket.
- Install hot water pipe insulation.
- Install electrical outlet and switch plate insulation.
- Clean furnace system and check ducts for leaks.
- Plant trees and shrubs on the south and west side of your residence.
- Fix leaky faucets and install low-flow shower heads.
- Use room fans to keep the air moving and reduce the feeling of heat in your building.
- Replace furnace and air conditioner filters monthly.
- Replace normal thermostats with programmable thermostats.